Today, there is no way to learn everything you need to know about marketing in the classroom. Marketing of all shapes and sizes is transforming so quickly that it is hard for even those in the industry to keep up. Check out this post – The T Shaped B2B Marketer: The Importance of Being Deep and Wide to see just how many skills it takes to do marketing today. So what’s the answer? How do you make sure that you are competent in today’s marketing concepts and practices? Online courses are an excellent way to do this, especially when they are free.
To help you keep a sharp marketing edge, I’ve compiled a list of free online marketing courses and certifications that you can take advantage of right now.
These free certifications will give you know how and a proof of completion to show off your expertise.
- Alison Social Media Marketing Diploma focuses on email marketing, social media marketing (Twitter, Facebook, blogging, podcasting), and affiliate marketing.
- Alison’s Diploma in E-business covers how to use Google Analytics, Google Adwords, Google Adsense, and Google Webmaster to become a successful online marketer.
- Colorado Free University’s Trainings offers two certifications. One is on online marketing in general and one is focused on social media marketing.
- Coursera’s Introduction to Marketing From Wharton Learn from University of Pennsylvania professors about online marketing and branding.
- Google Analytics Certification Google has a host of different classes offered at different times on Google Analytics that offer a certificate of completion. In order to get Google Analytics Individual Qualification (IQ), you must pass a test that costs $70 per attempt.
- Google Online Marketing Challenge is a challenge where you compete against marketers across the world. This competition includes the following areas: Search Engine Marketing, Search Advertising, Display Advertising, Mobile, Social, Analytics, and Video. The winners obtain much honor and prestige.
- HubSpot’s Inbound Marketing Certification is a great introduction to inbound marketing from the company that coined the term. I’ve taken this certification twice and can personally vouch for its value. Check out this post about why you should care about HubSpot’s Inbound Certification.
- HubSpot’s Inbound Sales Certification is a way for sales people to join the inbound movement that so many marketers are a part of. Unified sales and marketing teams are an integral part of success, and this certification is a great way to unify these teams in a common goal of inbound smarketing. Learn everything you need to know about this certification here.
- HubSpot’s Email Certification is exactly what it sounds like. Learn today’s best practices for email marketing. Learn more here.
You won’t get any certifications from these free online courses, but you will learn something.
- Constant Contact’s Social Media Quickstarter is a great place to start learning about social media marketing. It covers Linkedin, Twitter, Facebook, Youtube, Google+, Pinterest, Instagram, blogging, and online listings and reviews.
- Coppyblogger’s Internet Marketing Course learn internet marketing in 16 ebooks and 20 emails.
- DS106 Open Course is a course/social experiment that teaches you the ins and outs of digital storytelling.
Udemy features scads of free and paid online courses in subjects from home improvement to music. Check out their classes on the following marketing subjects:
- Digital Marketing – classes on content marketing, blogging, email marketing, landing pages and much more
- Social Media Marketing – classes on Linkedin, Twitter, Facebook, Google+, Buffer, social selling, and much more
- SEO – classes on link building, general SEO, Google Analytics, Google Adwords, and much more
- Sales – classes teaching sales tips for beginners and veterans alike, how to sell online, and much more
- Search and Social Media Marketing For International Business covers a host of different topics related to online marketing including social media marketing, copywriting, blogging, SEO, and more.
- GCF Free Online Social Media Marketing is another intro to social media marketing and blogging.
MIT OpenCoursewear offers free course material from a range of different real MIT classes. Check out the below marketing course materials:
- Entrepreneurial Marketing – focuses on clarifying marketing concepts for startup and early stage entrepreneurs
- Marketing Management – focuses on clarifying marketing concepts for startup and early stage entrepreneurs
- Strategic Marketing – this course will show you how to write, conduct, and anilyze a marketing research survey
- Special Siminar in Marketing – aimed at developing students’ marketing planning and analysis
23. CodeAcademy – not every marketer needs to know how to code, but knowing a little CSS and HTML is a great skill to have on a resume and can keep you from having to walk over to the IT guy’s cubicle every five seconds. CodeAcademy makes it easy to learn practically any coding language you’d want to try.
25. Coursera – partners with accredited universities and other organizations to bring you online courses on a range of topics and there are hundreds of marketing and sales related courses on there. Coursera offers the ability to audit classes for free, or take a class for credit by paying a fee. Courses have an official start and end date, syllabus and teacher, just like a real college class. They do have financial aid if the courses are too pricy. Get discounts on select courses at dealspotr.
Want more educational content? Check out MLT’s B2B Resource Center to see ebooks on a plethora of b2b marketing topics.